France celebrates in San Carlo Terme. Morgado, 2nd today, retains the Maglia Verde
San Carlo Terme, 2 September 2022 – The show of the 46th Giro della Lunigiana was set up also in San Carlo Terme where, in stage 2B starting from Massa, Paul Magnier (France) won.
It was a duel until the last meter between the French rider and the Maglia Verde Antonio Morgado who were part of a group of 24 riders that attacked after the KOM in San Carlo Terme and which included all the big names in the general classification except for Aaron Dockx and Noa Isidore.
Along the final ascent, the first to attack were Federico Savino (Toscana) and Luca Rosa (Piemonte) bridged by Martin Barta (Czech Republic) and Tomas Sivok (Slovakia).
At 300 meters from the finish, from an increasingly selected group, came the decisive attack of Paul Magnier followed by Antonio Morgado (Portugal) who could not overtake the French rider, in his fourth success of the season.
At 2″ Gualdi (Lombardia), Barta and Sivok while the Polish Martin Zelazowski, winner yesterday, was dropped with 2 km from the finish.
1 Paul Magnier (Francia) 56.9 km in 1h22’48”
2 Antonio Morgado (Portogallo)
3 Simone Gualdi (Lombardia) 2″
1 Antonio Morgado (Portogallo)
2 Simone Gualdi (Lombardia) 2″
3 Tomas Sivok (Slovacchia) st
A few minutes after crossing the finish line, stage winner Paul Magnier said: “Yesterday I was a bit disappointed with the progress of the final, the technical problem held me back. Today I wanted to redeem myself, after the first half stage we came to see the final climb so I knew that by taking the last corner in the lead I would win. I’m not afraid of anyone, I know I have a strong team and we will make life hard for Morgado.”
The Maglia Verde Antonio Morgado, after the finish, declared: “I attacked on the descent because I know that no risk no glory. The Giro is still long, I’m not at 100% so I’m happy with my performance. I don’t know tomorrow’s climb, we’ll see how it goes.”
THE OFFICIAL JERSEYS OF THE 46TH GIRO DELLA LUNIGIANA
The leader jerseys of the 46th Giro della Lunigiana are designed by PISSEI.
- Maglia Verde, leader of the General Classification, sponsored by Poliartigiana Srl – Antonio Morgado (Portugal)
- Maglia Blu, leader of the Points Classification, sponsored by Regione Liguria – Antonio Morgado (Portugal)
- Maglia a Pois, leader of the KOM, sponsored by Confindustria La Spezia – Antonio Morgado (Portugal)
- Maglia Bianca, leader of the Young Riders Classification, born after 01/01/2005, sponsored by Spigas Clienti / Terre di Luni – Simone Gualdi (Lombardia)
- Maglia Rossa, leader of the Intermediate Sprints, sponsored by Assessorato allo Sport della Regione Liguria / Memorial Massimo Vanello – Andrea Raccagni Noviero (Liguria)
- Maglia Azzurra, leader of the Italian Riders Classification, sponsored by Conad – Simone Gualdi (Lombardia)